Once more into the fray...

Well hello there, it's good to be back. Much much later down the line than anticipated, but there you go. I'd like to say Geeky Tom begged me to return to the blogosphere but that's a lie - he emailed me much the way he did Crabs, and I came a-running. Now I have to think of some good shit to write about, or there's little point me being here. So, to ease me into my first post, here's some of the stuff I've liked rather a lot in the last few weeks:

1. Work in progress from my all time favourite comedian, the scruffy, sublimely
observant Daniel Kitson - comedy with real heart - I saw him at the Hob pub in
Forest Hill, where he's still doing Sunday night shows - check his website for more details.

2. Offbeat indie comedy type film Juno, with my new sarcastic young actress of choice Ellen Page. It also stars the quite frankly adorable Michael Cera - he of Superbad fame - and is smart and cool. Go see it and be amused and maybe even a little moved.

3. Patrick Marber play Dealer's Choice at the Trafalgar Studios. Very snappy, very funny and you don't need to know a thing about poker to enjoy the ride.

4. Although three is clearly a better number for a list of items, I thought I'd mention a few of the telly bits I'm digging right now. Damages -US drama going out on BBC1 at the moment is a superbly tense drama. Ted Danson is scarily good as ruthless, egocentric businessman. Breaking Bad - brand new US drama (not yet picked up in the UK) about a 50-year old chemistry teacher who finds out he has a terminal illness and hooks up with a former student to start producing crystal meth. Sounds hokey, but very well executed. Lastly - as if this needs bigging up - Ashes to Ashes, the Life on Mars spinoff starting next week, is a treat. Philip Glenister as Det. Insp. Hunt is a riot and it's sort of Miami Vice meets Twin Peaks, if that tickles your fancy. And quite frankly, why wouldn't it?

That's all I have for now - going to see the Neil LaBute double bill at the Bush Theatre tomorrow night, so some thoughts on that after the weekend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment